This is how you can make tamarind juice yourself
You can often buy tamarinds in dried blocks in Asia shops. The spice tamarind originally comes from Africa and means something like “Indian dates”. For two liters of tamarind juice, you need 150 g of dried tamarind. In addition, you will need 150 g of sugar.
- Weigh 150g of tamarind and wash.
- Put the tamarind in a saucepan and pour two liters of boiling water over it.
- Let the mixture steep for an hour.
- Break up the tamarind with a fork and leave overnight.
- Then pour off the juice. Sieve at least twice.
- Then add the sugar. Tamarind juice can be enjoyed hot or cold. Tamarind juice is also often used in Asian cuisine.
- You can also use tamarind paste or pulp for the tamarind juice. You also need about 150 g of this for two liters of water.
Worth knowing about the tamarind
Tamarind is a spice native to Africa. It grows on a palm-like tree and belongs to the carob family. The tree can now also be found in Central America and Asia.
- The tamarind is a pod that grows on the tamarind tree. It contains pulp that is processed into a spice.
- The tamarind is usually processed into pulp or a paste. You can now also find dried pods in supermarkets.
- In Asian shops, on the other hand, dried tamarinds are available in blocks.
- In addition to fiber, tamarind contains many carbohydrates, tartaric acid, iron, calcium, and phosphorus. In addition, tamarind contains a lot of sugar and pectin.
- There are two different types of tamarinds. Some have black and others brown flesh. The black flesh tastes sour and the brown flesh tastes sweet.
- Tamarinds are often used in cooking in Africa, Thailand, and the Caribbean. For example, the pods of the tamarind tree are boiled to make a lemonade-like drink.
- In India, on the other hand, tamarind is also used as a spice in curry dishes. In Europe, however, tamarind is also used to flavor Worcestershire sauce.