Plums: Numerous ingredients for a healthy body
At first glance, plums appear inconspicuous, but the fruits are packed with many vitamins, nutrients, and radical scavengers. Regardless of whether you eat fresh or dried variants or their juice, the stone fruit has it all.
- Low-calorie thirst quencher: There is just 47 kcal in 100 g of plums and a full 80 percent of the fruit consists of water. In addition, the conversion of carbohydrates into fats in the intestine is prevented, which also helps against fat deposits.
- Digestion: Due to the pectins it contains, digestion is stimulated and the intestinal flora improved. These fibers are mainly found in the skin of the fruit and protect you from constipation, slow digestion, and stomach problems. There is also malic acid, which also boosts digestion.
- Vital substances: The amount of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements is really remarkable. Vitamin A strengthens the eyesight, while vitamin B strengthens the nervous system and vitamin C is responsible for a healthy immune system. Vitamin K supports blood clotting, while vitamin E acts as a free radical scavenger. In addition, plums contain a lot of zinc, copper, and beta-carotene, which optimizes numerous functions in the body.
- Anti-cancer effect: Thanks to the polyphenols and vitamin E it contains, numerous free radicals in the body that can cause cancer are destroyed. Above all, colon cancer and tumors in the digestive tract are counteracted, even if only small amounts are consumed.
- Good for the heart: The polyphenols mentioned above also have a positive effect on heart problems. They ensure better blood circulation together with the vital substances and work against LDL cholesterol, which is responsible for age-related heart diseases.
- In addition, plums are extremely filling due to their composition. Prunes in particular reduce cravings and thus protect against overeating. You can take advantage of this if you integrate sweet dried fruit into your diet.
Tips for shopping: Which type of plum tastes best when
Plums and damsons should not be too firm when bought. They are perfect when the skin is plump, give slightly under slight finger pressure, and have a whitish layer. This should only be washed off immediately before eating because it protects the fruit from drying out, explains the Federal Association of Fruit and Vegetable Producers’ Organizations (BVEO).
- The early plum varieties are Katinka and Hanka
- After that come Cacaks Schöne and Auerbacher
- And at the end of the plum season, there are house plums