Life-threatening poisoning: beans are fatal to a couple
Regardless of the exact preparation, you mustn’t eat the beans raw. Because the legumes contain toxic lectin in raw varieties. This causes, for example, fever, chills, and nausea. However, the poison is decomposed during cooking and therefore no longer poses a risk. But then there is another, much worse danger:
- If the pickled beans have spoiled – especially after a long period of storage – there is a risk of life-threatening poisoning. So-called botulism was almost fatal to a couple from Halle and der Saale. The boiled beans led to paralysis from the neck down in both spouses. They, therefore, had to be put on a heart-lung machine and hospitalized for almost a year.
- For canned beans that have been stored for a long time, you should therefore heat the vegetables for at least six minutes at 80 degrees Celsius or a few seconds at 100 degrees Celsius before preparing them. This eliminates the risk of poisoning.
- Also interesting: Beans can cause flatulence. Spices, on the other hand, help calm the stomach and intestines. For example, you can use aniseed, cumin, or fennel. Also, be sure to follow our tips below to minimize any health risks.
Preparation of fresh types of beans
It doesn’t matter whether it’s bush or pole beans, white or red beans: the right preparation is important. After thoroughly washing the vegetables, the beans can be processed.
- Broad beans are first peeled out of the shell. Then blanch them briefly in salt water and then rinse them with cold water. The beans have a leathery skin, which you now have to remove by squeezing. Now boil the broad beans in salted water for another 15-20 minutes.
- It is best to cut runner beans into small pieces and remove the ends. If you see threads, you can pull them off with a knife. Then boil the legumes in salted water for about 15 minutes. After cooking, shock the beans in ice water.
- For French beans, remove the ends. Then boil the beans in salted water and test after 15 minutes to see if the desired consistency has been achieved.
- If necessary, let the vegetables simmer a little longer.
- The wax bean is similar to the bush bean. The ends are also cut off here. The threads can be pulled out with a knife. You should then cook the wax beans for at least 10 minutes.
- Cook edamame with the pod in salted water for about 8 minutes. The beans can then be enjoyed straight from the pod. However, you cannot eat the pods. It’s best if you squeeze out the beans.
- You can buy many varieties in jars or cans. Here, the preparation only takes a few minutes, since the vegetables have already been heated. However, it also contains fewer nutrients.