The origin story of sushi – hence the delicious rice dish
Originally, sushi was not a dish in itself. The dish, which originated in Japan, was created when people wanted to make raw fish more durable with the help of vinegar and rice.
- This method of preserving fish originally came from Southeast Asia and later made its way to Japan.
- The fish was first fermented in a hole in the ground. People used salt and wrapped the fish in boiled rice.
- In Japan, rice was eventually seasoned with vinegar instead of salt, and the iconic sushi rice was born.
- At the time, no one would have thought that this combination would eventually become the most well-known Japanese dish of all.
- Sushi comes in many different forms.
- So that you can tell them all apart, we have uploaded a few pictures for you to the picture gallery.