Black rice is not just an eye-catcher in a salad. The rice is healthy and has a unique taste. We have a few ideas for you on how to use the black grains in the salad.
Black rice – for that special touch in the salad
Black rice differs from its white counterpart in many ways.
- Rice owes its color to vegetable pigments known as anthocyanins. These dyes also give blueberries their dark color, for example.
- White rice is dehusked and milled. This means that not only the husks are removed, but also the silverskin and seedling.
- Neither is the case with black rice. Therefore, grains bring more healthy ingredients such as protein or iron and are rich in fiber.
- The grains have a slightly nutty flavor and are more al dente than white rice. Also, you need to cook black rice longer. It takes at least three-quarters of an hour for black rice to cook.
Black rice salad ideas
Dark grains can be combined with numerous ingredients in the salad.
- Together with mixed green salad, avocado, onions, and sunflower seeds and a vinaigrette made of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little lemon juice, you can conjure up a tasty salad.
- The combination of sweet mango, small cherry tomatoes, and a few roasted cashew nuts harmonizes perfectly with the slightly nutty taste of the black rice.
- If you don’t want to go without meat, serve a salad of cooked beef cut into strips, onions, peppers and black rice.