Cumin tea: effect of the medicinal plant
Scientists suspect that cumin is one of the oldest known spices. Originally, the Carvum carum probably comes from Asia, from where it then conquered Europe and North Africa.
- Caraway has not only been valued as a spice for thousands of years. It is also famous and coveted as a medicinal plant and it owes this primarily to its essential oils.
- In addition, caraway contains, among other things, oils, tannins, flavonoids, polysaccharides, proteins as well as phenolic acids, and coumarins.
- The biennial caraway plant is relatively undemanding and easy to plant in the garden. The seed can be harvested in the second year. The plant flowers from about May to July and then the flowers and fruits slowly turn brown. Once they have turned properly brown, the seed is harvested.
- You can also find wild caraway seeds almost everywhere in Europe. You will often discover these aromatic plants, which are around one meter tall, mainly on roadsides or meadows.
Caraway tea for flatulence: this is how it helps
As early as the Middle Ages, it was customary to eat caraway seeds after every rich feast. The effect of the medicinal plant on gastrointestinal diseases and in particular its beneficial calming effect on flatulence had been known for a long time.
- Due to its essential oils and tannins, caraway not only has a calming effect but also has an antibacterial effect on the intestines.
- Hildegard von Bingen already knew that too much air in the stomach can not only cause flatulence, but also heart pain. Even then, she recommended caraway tea for heart pain and flatulence.
- Caraway supports the liver and pancreas but also has a soothing effect on migraines.
Instructions: Prepare caraway tea
You don’t need too many ingredients to prepare your own caraway tea. You need caraway seeds, water and a mortar.
- Crush about two tablespoons of caraway seeds with a mortar and then put them in a pot with half a liter of hot water.
- Place the caraway in either a tea egg or a tea strainer. Let the caraway tea steep for about 15 minutes before enjoying it.
- Tip: Diluted caraway tea is usually good for babies. However, you should discuss this with your pediatrician in advance.