Many people use this kitchen appliance almost every day – and every time it comes into contact with water. For this reason, you should descale your kettle regularly. This is the only way for it to function perfectly for many years. With these three home remedies, you can easily accomplish this task.
Descaling kettles is worth it
Limescale deposits that accumulate in kitchen appliances can damage them in the long term. Because the white crusts make it more difficult for your kettle to work – and over time it becomes more and more inefficient. The lime can ruin the mechanics over a long period of time and also falsify the taste of the boiled water. It is therefore important to descale your kettle regularly. The good news: removing limescale with home remedies is very easy. How often should that happen? Depending on water hardness every two to three weeks.
By the way: We have even more tips for a hygienic home. Make a note now!
1. Home remedy: Descale the kettle with vinegar
This method is very simple – here’s how it works step by step:
- Mix vinegar and water in a ratio of 1:10.
- Fill the liquid into the device and let it boil.
- Open the windows to let the vinegar fumes escape—and don’t inhale them.
- Leave the liquid for half an hour.
- Rinse the device thoroughly at the end.
2. Home remedy: Kettle decalcification with baking soda
If you find the vinegar vapors too intense when removing scale from kettles, use baking soda. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Mix one sachet with 200 ml of water and pour the mix into the device.
- Turn it on and let everything boil.
- Leave the device for an hour.
- Pour off the liquid and rinse the kettle well.
3. Home remedy: Descale the kettle properly with citric acid
Important information in advance: You must not boil citric acid when descaling your kettle. Otherwise, calcium citrate is formed, which is significantly more stubborn than lime. Three steps are sufficient for the correct application:
- Mix a sachet of citric acid in a liter of water and pour the mix into the device.
- It is best to leave the liquid on overnight.
- In the morning, simply rinse out the kettle. Finished!