You can find out the origin of meat using the website of the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety. You can find out how to do this and how you can get more information about your meat in the following practical tip.
Determine the origin of meat – that’s how it works
To find out the origin of your meat, proceed as follows:
- First, open the website of the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety.
- Then scroll down until a quick search appears.
- Now you can enter the registration number there. It is stated in a circular seal on the packaging.
- After that, perform the search process to find out the origin of the meat.
- If you do not use any or an old registration number for the search, you can use the advanced search. By clicking on the categories listed, you can also access a list of all the companies stored in the database.
Find out more information about your meat
Once you have identified the origin of your meat, you can search other websites for more information.
- You can use the search function on the oekolandbau.de website to find out whether the factory or butcher’s shop is an official organic company with the appropriate seal.
- You can also use a search on oeko-kontrollestellen.de to check whether the company has organic certification or not.
- All you have to do is enter the company name or the respective postal code.