Freezing ham correctly: you have to pay attention to this
You can freeze cooked ham without any problems – both in one piece and sliced. Raw ham, on the other hand, should be cooked before freezing.
- Before you freeze the ham properly, you should consider whether you want to put it in the freezer in one piece or slices. The latter is more practical because they defrost faster and can be better portioned.
- Pack the ham in freezer bags or sealable plastic boxes. Seal the bag or box tightly and note the freezing date. Now you can put the ham in the freezer.
- The ham will keep in the freezer for about three months. A piece of ham can even be stored deep-frozen for a little longer.
How to thaw frozen ham again
If you want to defrost the ham again, you should first put it in the fridge overnight. So he thaws gently. If the ham is stored in a freezer bag, you should also place the bag on a plate so that the refrigerator does not get dirty from the condensation.
- If you want it to go faster, you can also let the ham slices thaw at room temperature. But then you have to eat the ham on the same day. To do this, take the ham slices out of the container and place them on a plate. Make sure that the sausage is not exposed to direct sunlight.
- If thawing at room temperature is not safe for you because of bacterial growth, you can place the frozen slices in the freezer bag in a cold water bath. After ten to 40 minutes the ham is defrosted.
- Then take the freezer bag out of the water and take out the defrosted ham. Make sure that the food does not come into contact with the water on the freezer bag.
Defrosting in the microwave is also possible if the appliance has a defrosting function.
- If you want to cook or fry the ham slices, you can cut the frozen slices into strips or cubes and then prepare them in a pan, pot, or oven. The cooking time may be slightly longer here.