Summer offers consumers a good overview of leaf salads, it is salad season. With the rising temperatures, the desire for warm dishes decreases, while nature allows the salad to grow at the same time. In the article, you will find an overview of the five most popular leaf salads.
Overview of the 5 most common leaf salads
Lettuce is particularly popular in summer. In summer temperatures, many people prefer a crunchy salad instead of a warm meal. In this overview, we have summarized the five most common leaf salads for you.
- Iceberg lettuce: This green lettuce is particularly crunchy and originally comes from the USA. It also owes its name to this fact, after all, it was transported to Europe on a mountain of ice. Because of its special shelf life, iceberg lettuce is also very popular as a party salad.
- Lettuce: This lettuce is probably one of the best-known leaf lettuce in Germany. If you have a garden, you can easily grow your own lettuce. So you can be sure that it is very fresh. Because lettuce has a very short shelf life in the refrigerator.
- Arugula: This salad is particularly popular because it is not only suitable for salads, but also for smoothies, as a pizza topping, or in pesto. In addition, arugula is easy to eat due to the smaller leaves.
- Lamb’s lettuce: Lamb’s lettuce also has small leaves. It is also very robust and therefore very popular in winter. With its strong, nutty taste, it goes well with game dishes or cheese. Before eating, however, you should wash the lamb’s lettuce thoroughly.
- Spinach: This type of lettuce is particularly healthy because it contains a lot of potassium and iron. Spinach is usually eaten cooked, but you can also eat it raw, e.g. B. consume it in a smoothie.
Here’s what you should know about lettuce
Most lettuce consists primarily of water. That’s what makes them so fresh. In addition, they are very low in calories. This is why lettuce is a real slimming aid and is often used in low-carb cuisine. But you should also know these three facts about lettuce.
- Lettuce is a source of dietary fiber, but also a lot of vitamins. Which vitamins depend on the type of lettuce?
- Not everyone can tolerate eating raw lettuce in the evening. The green vegetable causes some digestive problems and is heavy on the stomach. This can lead to problems sleeping.
- Lettuce leaves can contain nitrates, especially if they get too little light. The Federal Center for Nutrition, therefore, recommends organically grown lettuce, as these often contain less nitrate.