You can make pickles yourself. It’s not difficult at all and not expensive either. We have put together for you what you need and how to pickle the vegetables.
Make pickles yourself: That comes in
The recipe stands and falls with the use of the right cucumbers.
- There are different types of cucumbers. So-called pickling cucumbers such as the Bimbostar cucumber are suitable for pickles. You need 750 g of this.
- Measure out 500ml apple cider vinegar.
- You will also need 75ml of olive oil and 75ml of water.
- Spices and herbs should not be missing. You need 600 g peeled onions, 75 g salt, and a tablespoon each of dill seeds and mustard seeds.
- The cucumbers are placed in sterilized jars with screw caps.
Recipe for pickling cucumbers
Pickling the cucumbers is easy.
- The cucumbers are first washed thoroughly. You can pickle the cucumbers with or without their skins. If you choose the latter option, you have to peel the cucumbers.
- Cut the onions into thin slices.
- Put the cucumbers and onions in a bowl of cold water and add the salt. Stir until the salt has dissolved in the water.
- The vegetables must now lie in salt water overnight. To ensure the cucumber and onion are covered with water, place a clean plate on top of the veggies and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- The next day, drain the vegetables in a sieve and let plenty of clear water run over them. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from cucumbers and onions with your hands.
- Distribute the vegetables evenly among the jars, which are still hot from sterilizing.
- The next step is to prepare the vinegar stock. In a saucepan, boil the vinegar with 75 ml water, the dill seeds, and the mustard seeds. Let the broth boil for about five minutes. Then remove the pot from the stove.
- When the stock has cooled down a bit, add the oil and stir it in. Divide the finished stock between the glasses with the cucumbers and onions.
- The vegetables must be completely covered with liquid. Poke the jars a little with a wooden spoon to get any air bubbles out.
- Close the jars tightly and turn them upside down for five minutes. This creates a vacuum.
- Before you can enjoy your pickles, they must first sit in a dark place for about two weeks.