French fries are delicious, but unfortunately not very healthy. Kohlrabi is the perfect low-carb alternative to the potato version.
The basic recipe for fries from kohlrabi
Kohlrabi is healthy and also has hardly any carbohydrates. How to make fries from vegetables:
- For one person you will need 1 kohlrabi, 1 tablespoon oil, and spices of your choice, such as paprika powder and turmeric.
- Peel the kohlrabi and cut it into strips. A chip cutter can be useful for this.
- Pat the kohlrabi strips dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel. This way the fries end up being a bit crispy.
There is another way to make the vegetable fries crispier: breading.
- Toss your fries in an egg, some flour, and breadcrumbs. Instead of flour and breadcrumbs, you can also use parmesan and almond flour. This saves you carbohydrates.
- Mix dried herbs into the egg to add a spicier flavor to the breading.
- Put the vegetable strips in a bowl. Add oil and spices of your choice. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Lay the side of the strips by side on a baking sheet. These mustn’t overlap.
- Bake the fries at 200 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn the fries now and then.
- Put the finished fries in a bowl and salt them at the end.
The cabbage goes well with it
Apart from the slightly softer consistency, kohlrabi fries are in no way inferior to common fries.
- Kohlrabi fries go well with all dishes that you would also combine with potato fries.
- Of course, you can simply enjoy the kohlrabi fries, just like normal fries, with a delicious sauce or a dip: ketchup, mayonnaise, sour cream, or guacamole.