Save the halved avocado with the stone
Process only half an avocado fruit, save the part with the stone.
- On the one hand, the core covers part of the pulp almost airtight.
- In addition, the avocado core should contain certain enzymes that should prevent or at least delay the brown discoloration of the avocado.
- Wrap half the fruit, including the pit, tightly in cling film and place half the avocado in the fridge.
Keep half avocado fresh with water or onions
Even without the pit, you can keep half an avocado fresh and at least partially prevent the flesh from turning brown.
- Water bath: Place half an avocado in a bowl of water and place it in the fridge.
- Avocado contains so much fat that it is protected from the water. On the other hand, the water protects the pulp from oxygen – and this is what causes the fruit to turn brown.
- Onion: The fumes from a sliced onion are said to prevent oxidation and thus the brown discoloration of the avocado flesh.
- Take an onion, chop it up into small pieces, and place it in a lidded airtight container. Add half the avocado, seal the box, and place it in the fridge.