Cat owners often encounter such a problem as fleas, even if the pet does not leave the house. Unfortunately, even the best remedies do not guarantee that the problem will be solved once and for all, and the intruders will not return to your furry pet in a week or month.
Therefore, it is worth to understand what works best against fleas in cats, what are afraid of fleas in cats, and how to remove fleas from cats with kittens. After all, as they say, forewarned is forearmed, and the problem – in this case, cat fleas – will not catch you unawares.
How to get fleas from a cat at home
First, you need to determine that it is fleas. If your pet:
- a strong itching begins, followed by active scratching of the back and sides;
- You can see flea eggs and excrement on the body: small white spots are flea eggs, and black spots are their excrement;
- irritations appeared on the skin: an allergic reaction, dermatitis, or in some cases even eczema;
- Well, in the end, if fleas are jumping on the cat – they are definitely there.
The main rule against fleas – is not to delay.
Effective flea remedies for cats
Getting rid of bloodsuckers from the cat can be done in different ways. If you are in doubt about the choice of a drug or its safety for your fluffy – it is better to consult a veterinarian.
- Flea drops
One of the most popular options. Such means are made on the basis of natural components or synthesized substances.
Keep in mind that drops for dogs are not suitable! They may contain permethrin, which is deadly to cats.
- Flea collars
These are ordinary plastic straps treated with special insecticidal agents. This is a good option if you have one pet. If you have several cats, they can chew each other’s collars and risk poisoning.
- Flea powder
Applied to cats’ skin and fur, then combed out. Please note that powder is only effective against adult fleas!
- Flea sprays
A fairly convenient and quick way to control fleas. Like the flea drops, flea sprays should be taken specifically for cats (not dogs!).
- Flea pills
The substances in the pills are absorbed into the bloodstream when the fleas bite the cat, and they die.
- Flea Shampoos
It is shampooed which will help to kill fleas and remove traces of parasites from the body and coat. But shampoos are best used if your pet can safely bathe. Otherwise, the water treatment will be another quest.
How to remove fleas from a cat: folk remedies
Quite often and effectively use folk remedies to combat fleas. The most popular are:
- laundry soap: the only disadvantage – you will have to bathe the cat several times at intervals of 4-5 days;
- apple cider vinegar is an antibiotic and antifungal agent; you can use it to disinfect your pet’s fur and get rid of fleas. Dilute the vinegar with water in a ratio of 2: 1 and spray it on the cat’s fur;
- spices – oregano oil, cumin, rosemary, and even regular kitchen salt can also help kill fleas on your cat.
How to get fleas out of a cat with kittens
Cats with kittens require special attention. Mild remedies are preferred for them. Collars for mom cats are contraindicated! It is better to take shampoos or sprays. In any case, it is advisable to consult with experts first.