When you are out and about or traveling, it may be necessary to purify water to make it drinkable. In a few countries, the water quality corresponds to the usual standards of the German population. Which methods are suitable for cleaning, you will learn in this practical tip.
Clean water: simply by boiling it
Simply boiling the water will kill any bacteria or parasites that may be present.
- In order to effectively purify the water, it must be boiling for at least 15 minutes. After that, all pathogenic germs are killed.
- If there are solids in the water, let the boiled water sit for a while until the solids settle.
- Strain the water through a clean cloth. After that, you can drink the water without any risk to your health.
Purify water with special tablets
Also, special tablets can help you purify water.
- The cleaning tablets kill bacteria present in the water. However, they do not help against visible contamination.
- For this reason, you should first filter the water through a clean cloth.
- Then add the cleaning tablet to the water according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Most cleaning tablets work best when the water is not quite cold.
- Note that it takes about half an hour for the water to be rid of bacteria.
- In addition, with this type of cleaning, you have to reckon with the fact that your water tastes a little like chlorine.
Use a water filter for cleaning
Jug filters that you know from home are not suitable for cleaning drinking water. Special filters are required for this purpose.
- In order to purify water with filters and free it from bacteria, the filter should have a pore size of about 0.1 microns.
- In well-stocked shops for outdoor accessories, you will find special bottles in which these special filters are installed. Here even bacteria get stuck in the filter material.