Whether coffee has a positive or negative effect on the human body is still controversial. The only thing that is certain is that caffeine has good and bad sides. Depending on how well you tolerate the drink, the effect also differs.
Coffee has a stimulating effect on the body
Without a doubt, after a cup of coffee, you will notice that your mind is more alert and you are less tired. Scientific studies now also prove the positive effect of coffee on the human body.
- Coffee is high in antioxidants that protect your body cells from free radicals. Your body cells are less damaged because dangerous processes in the body are prevented.
- If you drink a hot drink after eating, you will speed up your digestion.
- People with sensitive stomachs should, however, consume coffee with caution. Since coffee contains a lot of acids, it can trigger heartburn. But there are also a number of other intolerances related to coffee.
- The most important ingredient in coffee is caffeine. This wakes you up by influencing the release of certain substances. These include, for example, the stimulants norepinephrine and dopamine.
- Since coffee stimulates energy metabolism, you can burn additional calories. In the process, fat is broken down. Coffee can therefore help with weight loss.
- When you drink coffee, your kidneys are stimulated to function better. This means that you have to go to the toilet more often.
The stimulant does not work for everyone
As a rule, everyone knows that coffee is a classic pick-me-up. However, the stimulating effect of caffeine does not affect everyone in the same way. This is usually due to genetic reasons.
- As you drink coffee regularly, your body will gradually develop a tolerance to coffee. Caffeine no longer has a stimulating effect on your body. You get tired faster. The waking effect is also absent.
- Since some people are genetically more sensitive to caffeine, they suffer from insomnia after drinking coffee. If your liver is not good at breaking down caffeine, you will sleep less well because the caffeine has a long-lasting effect on the blood.
- In this case, it is healthier to drink green tea, for example. This has a number of healthy ingredients. Caffeine is also included here but has a gentler effect on your body.
- People with heart problems, such as tachycardia, also sleep less well after drinking coffee. Because coffee contains many stress hormones, such as cortisol. This increases your heart rate. The heart rate gets too high. The result is a deterioration in general health.