One option for storing horseradish is to freeze it. What you should consider when storing the vegetables, so that the horseradish lasts as long as possible, you will learn in this practical tip.
Horseradish – this is how the healthy vegetable keeps for a long time
If you freeze the horseradish, the healthy vegetable will easily keep for around six months. However, it is even better to simply leave the root vegetables in the garden and only harvest in portions. This type of storage has the advantage that the horseradish has a long shelf life and does not take up any space in your freezer.
- Horseradish is frost-resistant: temperatures down to minus five degrees do not bother the plant at all. That’s why you don’t have to stick to rigid harvest times when it comes to horseradish. You can harvest the root vegetables from September to April.
- If you have a lot of horseradish and you have a garden, bury the root vegetables in damp sand. In this way, the vegetables also remain fresh for many months and the healthy active ingredients are not lost.
- Alternatively, you can place a sandbox on the terrace or balcony and put the horseradish in the box. If you have a very cold basement, place the sandbox there.
- It is important that you put the horseradish in the ground unwashed and unpeeled, i.e. in its original state.
Freeze horseradish – that’s how it works
If you have to use the freezer for lack of a garden or terrace, you can also store the horseradish for quite a long time undamaged.
- The valuable thing about root vegetables is above all the essential oils, above all the healthy mustard oil. Incidentally, it is the mustard oil that gives horseradish its characteristic taste.
- In addition, horseradish, which is also used as a medicinal plant, convinces flavonoids, asparagine, arginine, and mucilage. There are also B vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, and iron.
- To preserve the health-promoting ingredients and unmistakable aroma of the kitchen spice, freeze horseradish unprocessed.
- Before you freeze the horseradish, wash the vegetables under dry water. Then dry the horseradish well.
- Important: The vegetables must be completely dry before you freeze them. Therefore, leave the horseradish on a thick kitchen towel overnight.
- It is also advisable to put the dried root vegetables in freezer containers or freezer bags in portions.
- Seal the horseradish airtight and date the containers. You should have used up the aromatic kitchen spice within around six months.