You can easily replace an egg in the cake with applesauce when baking. We have summarized for you here how this works and what you should bear in mind.
Vegan alternative: replace the egg with apple sauce
If you want to bake without eggs, then use applesauce for your sponge cake or muffins instead of chicken eggs. The advantage of the fruity puree compared to other egg alternatives: it tastes harmoniously in sweet recipes. That’s how it works:
- Instead of the chicken egg mentioned, use 2-3 tablespoons of finely mashed applesauce. That corresponds to about 60 to 80 grams of puree per egg.
- You can try how many eggs you want to replace in a recipe like this. However, no more than two are recommended.
- This may make the cake firmer than with chicken eggs. You will definitely get enough moisture that way. If you add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and some baking soda, the result will be more fluffy.
- If you want a rather tender dough, it is better to leave out the egg substitute completely or use less applesauce. Otherwise, your dough may become too sticky.
Other fruit sauces: Other alternatives
Most other fruit purées, for example from baby jars, are also suitable as egg substitutes. However, they must not be too acidic. Depending on the recipe and the flavor of your cake, you can vary.
- You get a rich yellow-orange color with pumpkin puree in your muffins or sponge cake batter. This is just like an apple quite tasteless. It is also suitable for savory batter variants.
- A classic of vegan cuisine: mashed bananas. You can also use these for the sponge cake batter. A practical side effect: You can quickly and sensibly use overlaid brown bananas.
- For a particularly authentic alternative, there is also egg substitute powder.