How to remove mold from Serrano ham
If you want to remove mold from a Serrano ham, you need half a liter of water, 250 grams of salt, and a little olive oil.
- Add the salt to the water and wait until it has completely dissolved.
- Now take a clean rag and soak it well in the saline solution. Then use it to wash the mold off the ham well.
- Use another clean and dry cloth to dry the ham well.
- With a third cloth rub the ham with olive oil.
Tips for buying quality Serrano ham
Serrano ham is a particularly fine type of ham. But even here there are differences in quality.
- You can also get Serrano ham pre-cut in the refrigerated section of your supermarket. But this ham has little to do with the actual ham.
- For the full enjoyment of Serrano ham, it is better to go to the local butcher. Ask for the boneless ham here. This is the original type of Serrano ham.
- The main sign of a good quality ham is the maturing period. This ham can only be called Serrano ham when it has been air-dried for eight months. Excellent hams are dried for a full 18 months, and from a drying time of 12 months, it is already a good ham.
- The thinner and finer the slices are after cutting, the longer the drying time. This is also how you recognize a good ham.
- Best to ask for a sample. A good ham has a full-bodied aroma and a firm consistency.