If you need sour cream for your recipe but don’t have one at home or are vegan, you can use a substitute. So that your dish is still something, we will tell you the best alternatives and a vegan substitute.
Sour cream substitute: These alternatives are available
First, we will introduce you to some dairy products that are ideal as a substitute:
- Sour cream: The best substitute for sour cream is probably sour cream because this is also made by adding lactic acid bacteria. However, sour cream often also contains thickening agents. It has a fat content of 20 to 25 percent, sour cream only has 10 percent fat.
- Creme Double: The consistency of this alternative is very thick and the fat content is over 40 percent. The double cream is therefore perfect as a substitute for a dessert.
- Creme Fraiche: This substitute also has a very high-fat content, namely around 30 percent. However, it is very similar to sour cream, which is why it is often used as a substitute. It is a proven alternative, especially for cakes and tarts.
- Quark: You can also use quark, especially in cakes. However, you should then add a little more milk, otherwise, the cake can quickly become too dry.
- Cream cheese: The same applies to cream cheese as to quark. It is best to add some milk and citric acid, otherwise, the cream cheese will not taste as sour as the sour cream.
Make vegan sour cream yourself – Here’s how
There are few plant-based alternatives for people who follow a vegan diet. That’s why we’re going to tell you how you can easily make the vegan sour cream yourself. You will need 150 grams of cashew nuts, 180 milliliters of water, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast flakes.
- First, the cashew nuts must be soaked in water for 5 hours.
- These are then placed in a sieve and rinsed off.
- Then you can put the nuts in a blender along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Now puree everything until it becomes a creamy mass.
- Finally, everything is seasoned according to taste, filled into cans, and stored in the fridge.