Nutritional values of the water chestnut
In Europe, the water chestnut is mainly found in canned goods, soy sauces, and table salt additives. It is rich in vitamins and nutrients that are of great importance to the human body.
- The water chestnut contains a lot of vitamin B. This is involved in many metabolic processes in the human organism. It acts like a coenzyme and supports other vitamins in their function. The function of the immune system is also promoted by vitamin B, as is the formation of red blood cells.
- In addition, the water chestnut contains potassium. This plays an important role for nerve and muscle cells. In particular, you can prevent high blood pressure, strokes, and kidney stones with potassium.
- Iron is involved in cellular respiration. Metabolic processes, the transport of oxygen, and the generation of energy are also ensured by the iron in the blood.
- 100 grams of water chestnuts contain about 65 kcal and 300 mg of fat.
- 14000 mg of it are carbohydrates. In addition, the quantity of water chestnuts contains 1400 mg of protein, 16 mg of salt, 3600 mg of fiber, and 1100 mg of minerals.
- Water chestnuts are 80 percent water.
Here’s how you can apply water chestnuts
Water chestnuts are rarely found in European supermarkets. With a bit of luck, you will find the fruit of an aquatic plant and you can use it in many ways.
- Before preparation, you can peel water chestnuts like apples.
- Because the flesh of the water chestnut tastes slightly sweet, it can be used for both sweet and savory dishes.
- You can add the water chestnut raw to the salad.
- When cooked, you can use the water nut plant as a vegetable addition. Since the water chestnut does not lose its aroma even when cooked, it is also ideal for fillings or soups.
- Curry and wok dishes are also possible. Together with bamboo shoots and vegetables, the water chestnut goes well with Asian cuisine.
- For example, you can also refine rice dishes with water chestnuts.
- Caramelized and because of their sweet taste, sweet dishes such as cakes can also be prepared with water chestnuts.
- Covered with water, the water chestnut can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.