Find out what barley grass is good for in this article. Because the thin green stalk, which is harvested for this dietary supplement before ears of corn form, is bursting with vitamins, antioxidants and much more.
What is barley grass good for?
One does not exactly expect a special composition of vitamins, phytochemicals, antioxidants, minerals and nutrients from the long, thin blade of barley grass, but that is deceptive.
- The barley grasses are harvested before they can form grains. In this phase they contain the most nutrients.
- These are important for supporting the immune system and are also said to have a positive effect on skin and hair.
- You can take barley grass either as capsules, powder or tablets.
Skin and hair
Barley grass is said to help with hair loss and increase skin elasticity thanks to its ingredients.
- On the one hand, this is due to the antioxidants it contains, which protect against free radicals. A positive effect can also occur with acne and neurodermatitis.
- Proanthocyanidins are phytochemicals that protect and repair the fibrous proteins between the skin cells, which promises increased skin elasticity.
- The trace elements copper and iron can prevent hair loss.
- Thiamine, procyanidin B-3 and niacin also promote hair growth.
Barley grass and cholesterol levels
In powder form, barley grass can be enjoyed in a smoothie or as a delicious green latte.
- Ingesting barley grass can lower cholesterol levels. Reducing LDL cholesterol can even reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- The many dietary fibers also help to improve cholesterol levels.
- Vitamins C and E also have a positive effect on cholesterol levels.
Other positive effects
Due to the many nutrients, the well-being increases when taking barley grass.
- In addition to protecting against free radicals, the antioxidants it contains also protect against UV radiation. This can slow down the aging of the body and brain.
- Antioxidants also have an anti-inflammatory effect, which strengthens the immune system. Due to this and the many dietary fibers, barley grass is also a blessing for the intestines.
- Serotonin and tryptophan help lift the mood a bit and improve sleep.