The washing machine tray is one of the dirtiest areas of the appliance, as powder particles remain on it and harden. But that’s not the only problem – over time, mold, limescale, or rust will form on the tray.
How to get the powder tray out of the washing machine – instructions
Different models of washing machines differ from each other in the method of installation of the tray. Some of them have a tab, which you need to pull to quickly and easily get the tray. The washing machines, which do not have such a tab, must be extracted differently:
- pull the compartment out as far as it will go;
- treat the cutters at the bottom of the tray with any oil;
- grasp the container with your hands and, lifting it up, pull it toward you;
- Press it until you hear a click, and pull out the tray.
In any case, whatever the features of the tray installation of your machine, you should not apply too much force, otherwise, you risk breaking the container.
How to clean the powder compartment in a washing machine – general tips
There is a universal method of cleaning the washing machine container, it uses baking soda, citric acid, and powder. You need to:
- pull out the powder compartment and place it in a basin;
- Pour it with boiling water completely;
- add 1-2 tbsp of citric acid;
- Pour boiling water into a separate container and add 1-2 tbsp of soda ash and baking soda each;
- when the citric acid stops sizzling, move the tray to the container with the baking soda;
- leave for two hours and then rinse under water.
A handy cheat sheet to use if you don’t know what kind of stains are best cleaned with:
- fungus – baking soda, vinegar;
- limescale – citric acid;
- powder residue – citric acid, baking soda.
Together with all the above remedies, you must necessarily use hard brushes and sponges to qualitatively scrub the dirt.
How to clean the washing machine tray from mold – tips
As we have already said, baking soda and vinegar are excellent help against mold. To clean the washing machine container, pour vinegar into it and pour 2 tbsp of baking soda. Leave it for two hours, then scrub with a brush or sponge and rinse under running water.
If the dirt does not come out the first time, repeat the procedure. Before you put the tray back, see if there is mold in the compartment itself. If you find any – treat the surface with a cotton pad soaked in vinegar and rinse with water.
How to Get rid of Limescale in a Washing Machine – Recipe
Limescale is the first cause of unpleasant odor in the washing machine. It is necessary to remove it, otherwise, in addition to harsh aromas, you will also get poorly washed laundry, and in the long term – broken appliances.
In general, to get rid of limescale perfectly suited aggressive detergents, such as “Mole” or “Toilet Duck”, but for lovers of folk methods, this option will not work. To make a solution (10-15 grams of acid per 3 liters of boiling water) and soak the compartment for the powder in it. After this tray should be washed and put back in place.
How to clean the washing machine tray with citric acid from powder residue
Citric acid will also be suitable for washing the container from the remains of any detergents. The convenience of this method is that you do not have to take the tray out of the machine – just pour 1 tbsp of granules into it and turn on the wash at 70-75°C.
Soda is also good for such purposes, but its principle of action is different – you need to mix baking soda with water to the consistency of pulp, smear the tray with it and leave for two hours. Then rub with a brush or sponge and rinse under running water.
How to Clean the Detergent Compartment of a Vertical Washing Machine – Trifles
Cwashers, which have a load of the vertical type, do not lend themselves to such manipulations – to get out of them the tray will not work. But you can use a brush or brush:
- dissolve in 1 liter of hot water and 3-4 tbsp of any detergent;
- soak the brush in the solution and clean the powder tray with it;
- rinse the brush under water and use it to remove any detergent residue from the container.
Some housewives recommend wrapping a cloth around the brush to clean the tray more thoroughly. At the end of the procedure, it is best to leave the washer-dryer open to allow air to flow to the tray.