There are many reasons to decalcify water. Among other things, lime scale permanently soils your kitchen appliances and does not taste good in drinking water. In this practical tip, you will learn how to remove lime from the water.
Why descale water
Descaling water makes sense above all if the drinking water contains a high proportion of lime. The degree of water hardness varies from region to region.
- Lime contains the minerals magnesium and calcium. Both are necessary for a healthy body. So you don’t have to decalcify the water for your own health.
- However, too much limescale in the water is harmful to household appliances. Because the lime sticks in the devices and thus leads to blockages in hoses or damage to the electronics.
- Coffee machines, dishwashers, and washing machines are particularly affected.
Descale water: Descale water when boiling
The easiest way to get rid of limescale is to simply boil the water.
- Use either a standard saucepan or the kettle.
- After boiling, pour the water through a coffee filter. This catches the lime.
- If you want to be particularly sure that there is no more lime in the water, repeat this process several times.
- Kettles quickly collect a lot of limescale. The residues can end up in tea or coffee. You can also get rid of this stubborn limescale with special descaling products.
Descale the water with a filter system
If the water is particularly calcareous, filter systems help to remove limescale from the water immediately.
- You connect a filter system directly to your water tap. The cleaning takes place via ion exchange. Here the calcium and magnesium of the lime are exchanged for sodium ions. This makes the water softer.
- If you want to equip the entire house or business premises with a system, you have to reckon with a purchase price of 1,000 to 2,500 euros. In this case, the filter system is attached to the water connection of your house.
Descale with table water filter
With a table water filter, drinking water, in particular, can be decalcified quickly and safely. Table water filters carry out the ion exchange with activated carbon.
- In addition to limescale, they also remove chlorine, copper, and lead from the drinking water.
- The table water filter is a jug in which a filter cartridge hangs.
- The dirt is collected in this cartridge, which is why it should be replaced regularly.