Star anise originally comes from China and grows as a fruit of the evergreen magnolia tree. In this article you can read about the effect star anise can have on your health as a spice and medicinal plant.
The health effects of star anise
With star anise, you can maintain and promote your health in a natural way. Because the spice has an antibacterial, wound-healing, and antioxidant effect.
- The fruit has long been known in Asia as a cold remedy. Its ingredients are said to have an expectorant and antispasmodic effect. Tip: Take star anise for common cold symptoms, cough, angina, and bronchitis.
- The popular spice helps you with bloating and digestive problems. In addition, it reduces bloating. Tip: Chew some star anise seeds after meals to ease your discomfort.
- The Chinese fruit possesses anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant properties. It should therefore also work against aching joints and the symptoms of lumbago.
- Star anise is said to be able to relieve spasmodic intestinal colic and tension headaches thanks to its muscle-relaxing effect.
- For breastfeeding women: Taking star anise will affect your hormone levels and support milk flow while breastfeeding.
Star anise tea for a cold: how to prepare it
Star anise is available online and in selected shops as tea, essential oil, powder, or capsules. You can also easily prepare a health-promoting tea from star anise yourself.
- Ingredients for a cup of tea: 1 tsp star anise seeds, 1 tsp chamomile flowers, 1 tsp thyme, 250 ml water
- Preparation: Put the spices in a cup and pour 250 ml of hot water over them.
- Let the tea steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After steeping, remove the spices from the cup.
- Tip: Replace the chamomile blossoms or thyme with the same amount of lime blossom or meadowsweet.