How to properly store peaches
Peaches are very healthy and with the right storage method, you can keep the fruit longer.
- Peaches tend to bruise, so you should be careful when transporting them home. Make sure nothing heavy is on the fruit. It is best to place them at the top of the bag or basket.
- Don’t wash the peaches before storing them, this will make them rot faster.
- If the fruit is already very ripe, you should keep it in the fridge and eat it as soon as possible. Alternatively, a cool storage cellar is suitable. Make sure the fruits are next to each other and not touching.
- You can store unripe peaches at room temperature. As a result, they mature faster.
- Don’t store ripe fruit next to other fruit, such as apples, pears, and bananas. These types of fruit make the fruit ripen faster.
- At room temperature, the fruit will go bad within a day or two but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Check on the peaches every day and remove fruit with rotten spots.
- Tip: You can freeze or can peaches.