Sudden tremors all over your body can indicate a serious illness, but they can also have harmless causes. We explain the possible causes and what you can do about the tremors.
Trembling all over the body – cause: lack of water
It is important for your body to drink enough fluids in order not to become dehydrated. Insufficient fluid intake manifests itself in various symptoms – such as sudden tremors all over the body – and can be very dangerous.
- In order to maintain metabolism, the body needs fluid and the electrolytes it contains.
- Therefore, an adult should drink at least two liters a day. In high heat, however, it can be more to relieve the body.
- Dehydration is not only manifested by tremors, but also by headaches, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, nausea, disorientation, and confusion.
- If you experience these symptoms, you should take some rest and slowly replenish your fluid and electrolyte levels. Under no circumstances should you drink too much liquid quickly, as this puts renewed strain on your body.
- If you experience severe symptoms such as kidney dysfunction, convulsions, or delirium, call a doctor immediately.
- Also, make sure you eat enough. Especially in a stressful everyday life, this can often be forgotten and also lead to physical complaints.
Stress is a possible cause of tremors
Increased stress – for example, due to increasing strain at work, family problems, or other worries – can affect the body and psyche and lead to sudden tremors. Therefore, try to reduce stress and avoid stressful situations if possible.
- Exercising or doing yoga can help you relieve stress while strengthening your body. Physical activity also has a positive effect on your sleep.
- Creative projects such as handicrafts, knitting, or drawing can also help to leave everyday stress behind.
- If sudden tremors occur more often at night, try to spend more time with yourself and calm down before you go to sleep. For example, you can listen to music, read a book or try a short meditation.
Other possible causes of tremors
There are other causes for sudden tremors all over your body. You should be particularly vigilant here if you have drunk and eaten enough and are not aware of any other illnesses or complaints. If in doubt, consult a doctor. Other possible causes are:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- multiple sclerosis