Baking shortbread – the list of ingredients
Translated, shortbread means “shortbread” or “butter biscuit”.
- The list of required ingredients is manageable. You will need sugar, softened butter and flour, and a pinch of salt.
- How much of each ingredient you use depends on how much shortbread you want to make.
- Basically, you need one part sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour for the recipe. The pinch of salt always stays the same.
- Sample recipe: So use 100g of sugar, weigh out 200g of softened butter and 300g of flour.
It’s that easy to bake shortbread
Once you have weighed all the ingredients, the pastry is prepared quickly.
- First mix in the sugar with the softened butter until fluffy and then stir in the flour and salt. The easiest way to do this is with a food processor with a dough hook.
- To make the dough easier to roll out, put it in the fridge for about half an hour.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle 1 to 1.5 cm thick. Cut out pieces 2 cm wide and 6 cm long. Spread the pieces of dough on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Before the shortbread goes into the oven, which has been preheated to 180 degrees, pierce the individual dough sticks several times with a fork on the top.
- After about 20 minutes in the oven, the English butter biscuits are ready. If you like, you can sprinkle the biscuits with a little coarse sugar while they are still hot.
- When the shortbread has completely cooled down on a wire rack, you can enjoy it.