- 100 g butter
- 200 g rusks or biscuits
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 2 packets of bourbon vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs M
- 200 g sugar
- 800 g double cream cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 200 g crème fraîche
- Melt butter and let cool. Roughly crumble the rusk or biscuits and place in a freezer bag, seal. Crumble finely with a rolling pin.
- Mix the butter with the crumb mixture, cinnamon and 1 sachet of vanilla sugar and press into the ungreased form as a base.
- Preheat the oven to 150°. Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Gradually beat in the cream cheese. Add lemon juice and pour the mixture onto the crumb base.
- Bake the cake in the oven (middle) for approx. 1 hour. Mix the crème fraîche with the remaining vanilla sugar and spread evenly over the cheese topping. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove and let cool before serving.
California cheesecake – FAQs
What is the difference between New York cheesecake and California cheesecake?
Regular cheesecake relies on heavy cream and sour cream to thin the batter and create a silkier, creamier texture. New York cheesecake is heavy on the cream cheese which is why it’s so dense and rich. Extra cream cheese isn’t the only thing that makes New York cheesecake so special.
Is baked or unbaked cheesecake better?
The textures of these two cheesecakes are totally different. The no-bake version is a lot softer and almost mousse-like. Both are absolutely delicious. I have over 20 baked cheesecake recipes if you want a baked one.
What are the two types of cheesecake?
The classic baked cheesecake and the New York cheesecake are cousins as they are baked cheesecakes with almost identical ingredients. On the other hand, a typically baked cheesecake only has three ingredients: cream cheese, sugar, and eggs. You can, however, add sour cream if desired.
Which cream cheese is best for cheesecake?
Some people have brand loyalty to Philadelphia, and I won’t deny that this cream cheese makes a particularly silky and lush cheesecake. I’ve also made cheesecakes with local brands and off brands and been perfectly happy.
What does cornstarch do in cheesecake?
When you add cornstarch or flour to cheesecake, the texture becomes firmer and coarser – maybe not ideal for a dessert, but I find it quite appropriate for a savory cheesecake.
What happens if you over mix cheesecake?
Avoid Overmixing: Unlike other cakes, where beating air into the batter is key, overmixed cheesecake can rise, fall and then crack from that excess air. Keeping ingredients (cheese, eggs, liquids and flavorings) at room temperature can help.