This is the difference between Greengage and Mirabelle plums
They have one thing in common: greengage and mirabelle plums belong to the Prunus genus and are botanically plums. But the stone fruit differs from each other by small features.
- The easiest way to tell Mirabelle plums and Greengage plums apart are by their external appearance.
- Mirabelles are rather small and round with a diameter of up to three centimetres. Their peel is yellow to slightly reddish and they are also known as yellow plums.
- Greengage are four to five centimeters in diameter larger than mirabelle plums. Their exterior is green with some yellow or red-green tints. Renekloden are also called noble plums.
- The stone fruits also differ in terms of taste: while the mirabelle plums are strikingly sweet to slightly spicy, greengages impress with their juiciness and a slight acidity.
- The flesh of the mirabelle plum is firm, that of the greengage rather soft.
- Another difference is the stone. This is very easy to remove from the inside of the fruit in the case of mirabelle plums and difficult in the case of greengage.