Cola made from balsamic vinegar? It sounds like you have to get used to it, but it should taste good – and be healthy. Does the TikTok trend really keep what it promises?
Cola provides the perfect refreshment, especially on hot summer days. But drinking the sweet and caffeinated soft drink every day would be more harmful to the body. A recipe for a healthy cola alternative is currently circulating on the social media platform TikTok. The main ingredient: balsamic vinegar.
Why too much cola is unhealthy
The popular soft drink is harmful to health if consumed regularly. The high caffeine content can lead to restlessness, insomnia and stomach problems. In addition, cola contains a whopping 10 grams of sugar per 100 ml. It’s not just bad for your teeth. Those who consume too much sugar have a higher risk of diabetes in the long term. That’s why you should resort to healthier thirst quenchers. The current TikTok trend shows it.
Recipe cola made from balsamic vinegar: That’s how it’s done
A video of the American TikToker mandyvjones is going through the roof. In it, she shows her followers a very simple recipe for a healthy alternative to cola – with balsamic vinegar.
That’s how it works:
- Pour ice cubes into a large glass
- add some balsamic vinegar (to taste, but prefer a little less at first)
- add a squeeze of lemon juice
- fill the glass with sparkling water
- then stir everything with a spoon or straw – done!
How healthy is balsamic cola really?
Does this TikTok trend really deliver what it promises? Like the conventional cola, the healthy alternative also has its advantages and disadvantages.
Benefits of the healthier cola:
- Unlike conventional cola, the healthy alternative does not contain caffeine.
- Balsamic vinegar contains nutrients such as potassium, calcium, and antioxidants.
- Balsamic vinegar regulates blood sugar levels and thus prevents food cravings.
Disadvantages of Balsamic Cola:
- Vinegar has an acid content of 25 percent and can therefore promote caries just like normal cola.
- The high acid content can cause stomach problems and heartburn.
- The taste: As much as the trend variant resembles conventional cola in terms of color, it tastes just as little as this. Because in the cola we know, ingredients such as cinnamon and vanilla provide the taste.
Healthy cola variant: how does it taste?
In terms of taste, the balsamic cola clearly does not come close to the real cola, but is more reminiscent of a tangy salad dressing. The balsamic cola tastes very light and refreshing, but also very special. The disadvantages that come with balsamic vinegar should also not be ignored. Especially people who suffer from heartburn should keep their hands off this cola variant.
TikTok offers a platform for many trends, but you shouldn’t necessarily follow every trend. Cola made from balsamic vinegar can be an alternative to conventional cola, but the taste takes some getting used to.